Friday, November 12, 2010

Next LP: Legend of Kyrandia

Well, I got a total of four votes for next Let's Play with an MT-32.  And the results are clear: 3-to-1 in favor of The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One. So here you go.

If you watched my previous LP, you may remember I set the CPU cycles to 500 for the initialization. (Actually, I discovered recently that 1000 works fine, too.) Well, for LoK, it seems the maximum value is somewhere between 150 and 200. It definitely seems to be written for a second-gen MT-32. Someone commented that they have no problem with buffer overflows. This person reported that he or she has serial 871041, which makes it an "old-style rev. 1", a later version that is still considered first-generation. I, on the other hand, have 836243, which is a rev. 0. Supposedly, all MT-32s before 950500 have the buffer overflow problem, but there may be subtle differences; I don't know. I'm not sure why some people like me have the problem and others don't. Apparently no one knows, at least no one who has said anything publicly.

By the way, I also speculated earlier on that Windows XP does some sort of buffering that prevents problems, because I had tried playing MIDI stuff from King's Quest V under WinXP and hadn't seen any buffer overflows. But guess what. I tried that with LoK music, and it does happen. So once again, I can't say for sure just what's going on, except that LoK's MT-32 driver is too fast for whatever Windows is doing to fully compensate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to comment. You can just select the "Anonymous" profile.